Skip To The Main Content
Only Young Drivers Logo

Our Insurance Policies – Frequently Asked Questions

Like many of the young drivers who take advantage of Only Young Drivers and Only Smart Drivers car insurance, you'll no doubt have lots of questions about our policies and the cover we provide. Chances are they'll be the same questions our team gets asked every day. So to help you out before you pick up the phone - or explain a few things you might want to know, but forget to ask - you'll find our most frequently asked motor insurance questions and answers right here.

What do I do if I want to make a change to my policy? e.g. change of vehicle, change of address, additional drivers

If you want to make any changes to your policy, no matter how insignificant they may seem, you must contact us immediately on 03303 438 872.

What do I do if my documents arrive and they are wrong?

It’s important to check your policy documents as soon as they arrive. If any details are incorrect, you must contact us immediately. We’ll make any necessary changes and make sure we get corrected documents back to you as soon as possible.

What is a ‘mid term adjustment’?

A mid term adjustment is a change made to your policy after your policy has commenced.

What will I be charged for policy changes?

We will charge you an administration fee of £37.50 for processing changes to policies. This is in addition to any charges your chosen insurer may apply – please see relevant policy booklet for details.

What do I do in the event of a claim?

Don’t worry, if you need to report a claim, or you need assistance in the event of an accident, simply call our Claims line on 0800 9 538 566 and they will help you with any immediate assistance you may need and then guide you through claim process

Will I get a courtesy car if I have an accident and am unable to drive my car?

If you have comprehensive cover and are involved in an accident, regardless of whose fault it is, and your car is being repaired by an approved repairer nominated by your motor insurer, then you may be entitled to a courtesy vehicle for the duration of the repairs, subject to availability.

What is ‘Comprehensive’ cover?

Comprehensive cover insures you for damages for both your vehicle and any other vehicles (‘third parties’), whether it is your fault or not. This includes damage to your vehicle when left unattended, such as vandalism or a hit and run. You’re also covered for legal liability against third parties, including damages to their vehicle or compensation for injuries that have occurred because of an accident. Fire and theft of your vehicle is also covered.

What is Third, Party, Fire and Theft cover?

Third Party, Fire and Theft cover insures you if you are involved in an accident, for damage you cause to other people’s vehicles or property or for injuries they sustain. In addition you are also covered for your own loss or damage caused by fire (excluding arson) or theft.

What is an ‘excess’?

An excess on a car insurance policy is the amount you must pay towards the cost of a claim – you’ll find more details in your schedule and policy booklet.

What is a ‘No Claims Discount’?

It’s a term used to describe the discount the insurer applies to your policy when you have not made a claim or had a claim made against you. This is usually expressed as a number of years, and as a general rule, the more ‘No Claim’ years you clock up, the bigger the discount you’ll be entitled to.

What is ‘Legal Expenses Cover’? Do I have it on my policy?

Legal Expenses Cover gives you the opportunity to recover any uninsured losses if you are involved in an accident that is not your fault. Examples of uninsured losses can include your excess, loss of work earnings or compensation if you or any passengers in your car are injured.

Legal Expenses Cover is not automatically included in your policy. It is an additional insurance policy you can purchase when taking out Only Young Drivers or Only Smart Drivers car insurance.

How do I make a complaint?

We set very high standards for ourselves at Only Young Drivers and Only Smart Drivers. But, whilst we take great pride in our customer service, we recognise that, occasionally, things may go wrong. So if you ever feel you have cause to complain about our service, please call us on 03303 438 872 or write to us at:

Customer Services,
Only Smart Drivers,
Nile Street,

and we’ll do everything we can to put things right.

If you have a complaint regarding the service of your insurer, please see the relevant policy wording on this website.

We are also required to inform you that you can use the online European Online Dispute Resolution platform to provide details of your complaint, which we understand will then be forwarded to the Financial Ombudsman Service. Please be aware that this may be a slower route for handling your complaint than if you contact the Financial Ombudsman Service directly in the first instance.

Their phone numbers are 0300 123 9123 (charged at a national rate) or 0800 023 4567 (free from landlines).

You can write to them at:

Financial Ombudsman Service
Exchange Tower
E14 9SR

You can send an e-mail to:

Or you can log on to their website:

Am I able to drive abroad?

Your Only Young Drivers or Only Smart Drivers policy allows you to drive in any country within the European Union, for up to one month in any one trip. To find out more, please refer to your policy booklet.

Am I able to drive any other cars besides the one I have registered and be insured under this policy?

Under the driving other cars policy extension you will not be covered for driving other cars if you are under the age of 25. 

Do I have to tell you about any convictions?

Yes. You must advise us of any existing convictions – motoring or criminal convictions – when you take out your policy, and get in touch straight away if you have any convictions whilst your policy is in force. Failure to disclose any convictions could invalidate your insurance cover and result in a claim or part of a claim not being paid.

Am I covered against windscreen damage?

Yes. Your vehicle is covered for damage to, or breakage of, glass in your vehicle. Where your existing windscreen can be repaired, e.g. chips in the glass, you might have to pay an excess (see policy wording for details). Where your windscreen is replaced, you will have to pay an excess (see policy wording for details). Your No Claims Discount is not affected by windscreen claims.

When do I need to renew my insurance policy?

Don’t worry, we’ll remind you. In fact, we’ll send you your renewal documentation 21 days before the policy is due to renew explaining how you go about renewing your policy.

How can I pay for my Only Young Drivers or Only Smart Drivers car insurance?

To make it easy for you, we have two payment options – you can pay your annual premium in one payment via debit or credit cards, or you can choose to pay by monthly installments using direct debit

What do I do if I want to cancel my policy?

If you wish to terminate your policy please contact:

Only Young Drivers and Only Smart Drivers on 03303 438 872 via phone or alternatively you can write to Customer Services, Only Smart Drivers, Nile Street, Burslem, Stoke-on-Trent, ST6 2BA

What are my cancellation rights?

You have the right to cancel your policy at any time subject to any fees and cost for time on cover.

Please refer to your policy booklet for details.

What will I be charged for cancelling my policy?

We will charge you an administration fee of £79.95 to cover administration costs. This is in addition to any charges your chosen insurer may apply – please see relevant policy booklet for details.